Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Girls From Ames by Jeffrey Zaslow

Today's review is brought to you by the city of Ames, Iowa - home of the Iowa State Cyclones (booo!), Hickory Park (yay!) and The Girls From Ames.

The Girls From Ames is the story of an enduring friendship between eleven girls - now women - who grew up together in Ames, Iowa in the 1970's. The girls are:

Angela - the newest member of the group
Cathy - the Hollywood make up artist
Diana - the beauty of the group
Jane - the brains and also only Jewish member of the group
Jenny - the group's archivist
Karen - the one with the beautiful long hair
Karla - the adopted one
Kelly - the "free spirit" (which I translate into "whore")
Marilyn - the local pediatricians daughter
Sally - the shy one
Sheila - the sweet one

Don't worry, to keep them all straight, the book begins with a short bio for each girl and three photos of each - childhood, graduation and current. I've mentioned before how I love reference materials in a book and this is no exception. I kept both my place in the book marked and these bio pages so I could flip back and see which girl is being discussed.

These eleven girls began their friendships, certain members at least, in infancy and accumulated more of the girls through grade school, the last, Angela, being added in 9th grade when she moved to Ames. The girls, all in their 40's now, are spread throughout the country but their friendship still endures. They get together regularly for reunions, see each other at funerals, births and such and stay in touch daily through email.

The book covers a few of the girls more heavily than others, with some girls having full chapters dedicated to them. For instance, we hear little about Angela, Karen, Diana and Jenny. But we hear much about Karla, Marilyn and Kelly. I, probably much like everyone else who read this book, formed my opinions about the individual girls and picked out my favorites and least favorites.

Karla spoke to me as a girl who had a lot of adversity and tragedy in her life but also seems to have a good head on her shoulders. She seems like a girl I would like to be friends with. Spunky and funny but thoughtful as well. She knows what's important in life.

Kelly seemed like a whore to me. And a bit of a loud mouth. Sorry, but there it is. She got divorced because she was unfaithful a number of times in her marriage. Her children chose to live with the dad, which goes to show you, children aren't dumb. I don't think I would like Kelly. Or Angela but I think she just has ugly hair in all the pictures. Whoops! Did I say that out loud?

I was afraid, after reading this book, that I would have to change my rating system to hankies rather than bows. The book wants to be a tear-jerker but falls somewhat short. Yes, some of their stories are touching, some even heartbreaking. And the story itself of the girls' friendship is beautiful. But I think we, the readers, are supposed to find the story of eleven women staying friends that long to be remarkable. Perhaps I would if I didn't have numerous examples in my own life of friendships that have lasted as long, if not longer. My dad, now in his 60's, has had the same friends he has had since grade school. He has lunch every Friday with his BFF of 50 years (we call it their man date), and other close friends from school and their wives get together with my parents once a month for dinner at a new restaurant.

The book was fun to read in a "Hey, I remember Betty Lou's Magic Window" or "Hey, I know where Lincolnway is" kind of way. There are familiar landmarks and references that any fellow Iowan will recognize. But beside that it was kind of boring. It's very chick lit too which doesn't usually appeal to me. There is lots of the girls sharing feelings and crying together which I barely do with my own girlfriends so readings about other people doing it doesn't particularly interest me.

My wise and helpful husband suggested I post the actual bows when giving my reviews so here goes - I give The Girls From Ames two and a half bows.
The book was cute but ultimately a little boring and unremarkable. Now, this book wouldn't be on the bestsellers list if there weren't people out there who disagreed with me. Maybe it just wasn't my cup of tea. Maybe it was yours, I don't know. Let me know what you thought of the book. Until then, happy reading!

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree, Shannon! I was so excited to read it, but found it to be nothing special. It drove me crazy that he repeated the same stories a few times & didn't seem to have a clear way of telling them- I thought it oddly chopped up. I was a little disappointed...
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Liz! No dirt. We want dirt. But all we got were tidbits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was piqued at free spirit/whore...but now it really doesn't sound like it is for me ;)

    PS - the best sellers lists just means that a lot of people have bad taste, not the quality of the book (*cough* Twilight saga *cough*)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dated a girl whose dad was the guy that did the drawing on "Betty Lou and the Magic Window" Oddly enough (or maybe not oddly at all) she was also real good at drawing.
    Fini

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree on this one. I was highly disappointed after all the hype. Jamie Lou

    ReplyDelete