Sunday, July 11, 2010

A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean

A few weeks ago, Rusty and I came upon A River Runs Through It starring Brad Pitt on Encore. The movie is one of my favorites - it's visually stunning not only in the Montana scenery but in the 1920's period clothes. This unexpected movie viewing reminded me that I have been meaning to read the book the movie was based on for some time. So I ran out to Barnes and Noble and got it.

I was a bit hesitant to read this book. As I mentioned, the movie is a favorite and I was worried the book would not live up to my expectations. Not long ago, I purchased Legends of the Fall by Jim Harrison. This movie is also a favorite. I hated the book. Imagine those gay movie reviewers from In Living Color with their sing-song voices when I say I hated it. (Just don't imagine me wearing a teeny tiny bowler hat, please.) The book was awful. So, since I consider River and Legends to be the same genre (Montana based, family conflict, outdoor activities, Brad Pitt starring) despite their different authors, I was nervous.

*Disclaimer* Once again, please remember I am reviewing the book here, not the movie. There were differences.

River is a short autobiographical novella about Norman Maclean and his brother Paul. It's 1938 and Norman is newly married to Jessie Burns (see differences) and living with her family. Paul is a journalist for a local Helena, Montana newspaper. Norman and Paul are the only children of a Scottish Presbyterian minister. They spent their childhoods on the banks of the Big Blackfoot river near Missoula, Montana fly fishing.

Norman's wife and mother-in-law assign him the task of looking after Jessie's visiting alcoholic brother, Neal. Norman and Paul are to take Neal fishing and by extension, help him with his alcoholism...somehow. Norman has bigger fish to fry, however. (Tee hee! Get it? Bigger fish to fry. It's a book about fishing.) Ahem. Anyway, Norman is worried that Paul may be drinking a little too much himself. But more troublesome, he seems to have gotten himself behind in a shady and dangerous poker game. And as the local police sergeant explains, "It's not healthy to get behind in that poker game."

Just about every major scene in the book takes place on the river. And each theme and concept is given metaphorically in fly fishing terms. Maclean has a very lyrical, almost poetic, voice that is beautiful and mesmerizing. When describing the slow appearance of a big fish in the river water, Maclean says, "Out of the lifeless and hopeless depths, life appeared. He came so slowly it seemed as if he and history were being made on the way." Beautiful, simply beautiful.

Despite the above quote, the fly fishing jargon got a little tedious at times. And a bit technical. I mean, he really gets into the nuts and bolts of fly fishing. But just because I don't understand, doesn't diminish the book in my opinion. I know fly fisher-people are maniacally devoted to the craft so I wasn't surprised the book was so in depth.

Overall, I give A River Runs Through It four bows . It's a short, quick read set against a majestically beautiful landscape. Not exactly identical to the movie but the differences make the book new and interesting. And just like the movie, the book makes me want to move to the Montana area. Someday, maybe.

Happy reading, everyone! And as an aside, drop me a line and let me know what's on all your summer reading lists.

2 comments:

  1. I rarely hesitate to read a book if I liked the movie (not the novelizations of movies though...those are just strange). 99% of the time I like to book better - often more detailed, more twists, more surprises. But there have been a few times where a movie surpasses the book like Legends of the Fall did...my example is Fight Club (geez, whats with all the Brad Pitt?). Although much of the book was the same 1) the author blew the surprise of Tyler and Narrator being the same person on the second page - yes there are hints in the movie, but the book blatantly says it right away 2) the book was much more rambling and incoherent in the activities of narrator and Tyler, I thought the movie presented a much more concise message overall that got lost in the book. However, I do wish the movie would have contained the last chapter of the book.

    I do have a problem going to see movies of books that I really liked...the possibility of ruin is just way too high and then if I want to read the book again I am forever tainted.

    Summer reading - so far only Alcoholics Anonymous (you know a little light reading)...not sure what after that but I think I will need something fun and quick. Maybe some Wil Wheaton to satisfy my inner dork. And I always mean to check out Audrey Niffenegger's other stuff beside Time Traveler's Wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny...a non drinker reading Alcoholics Anonymous.

    I'm in complete agreement about Fight Club. It was no where near as good as the movie. And with the big surprise being revealed so early on, it was a disappointment. However, it was readable unlike Legends of the Fall.

    I often think the same as you when I read a book after I've seen the movie. And most times, you're right. The book is richer and more detailed thus making it just as good if not better than the movie. However, Legends of the Fall was the exact opposite. It also was a novella and seemed almost like the Readers Digest version of the movie. Everything was glossed over. All the characters were there but nothing was fleshed out as well as in the movie. So kudos to the Legends screenwriters. You made a bad book good.

    ReplyDelete