Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk by David Sedaris *PLUS* Bonus Commentary on David Sedaris' Personal Appearance


I'm sure everyone remembers my obsession with David Sedaris. As he is one of my very favorite authors, I have been eagerly anticipating his newest book, Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk, for some time. The book hit store shelves a couple weeks ago and I ran directly over to B&N right after work to pick up my copy.

A departure from Sedaris' normal writings (which consist almost entirely of funny autobiographical short stories), Squirrel is filled solely with anthropomorphic animal short stories. "Strange," you might say. Yes it is, but only if you don't get Sedaris' unique brand of humor.

Each story is written from the point of view of a particular animal. Each animal seems to embody Sedaris' sardonic wit and cynicism. It's almost as if the stories are told by the animal version of Sedaris. We meet adulterous dogs, racist ducks, deluded rats and a very, very accommodating gerbil.

I've talked to some who were disappointed in the book. People want to read about Sedaris' interesting life and crazy family: Amy, the drunk parents and most of all The Rooster. And I do too. But you have to think he is starting to run out of autobiographical material after seven books. If we want to continue enjoying his writing talent, we're going to have to adjust to the transition to fiction. I'm ready for that transition.

However, the book was short. A short book of short stories makes for short reading. I read it in one sitting of just a couple hours. And for that I give Squirrel four and a half bows . If I'm spending fifteen or twenty bucks on a book, I want it to last longer than two hours. And I know, I know. Before you say: "But Shannon, weren't you just bitching about a book taking too long to read?" Yes, I was. But I'm a woman. Incongruity is my birthright so get over it.

BONUS FEATURE

My friend Reeney and I made the trek up to CY Stephens in Ames to hear Sedaris speak last Thursday. This was the third time I heard him speak, each occasion at a progressively larger venue.

Prior to the show, Reeney and I thought we would grab a bite to eat at Black Market Pizza on the north side of town. Adam Richman of Man vs Food visited there in his recent Des Moines episode so we thought we would give it a shot. After chit chatting a bit with the friendly proprietor, Reeney and I split an order of garlic squares (square garlic bread dipped in a light marinara) and shared two small pizzas - a Double Bacon Cheeseburger and a Tree Hugger (ie veggie). The food was only special in the aspect of what it did to us each a little later.

I was quite sick by the time we reached Stephens, which was around 7:00 PM. Show started at 7:30. Sedaris was signing books in the lobby so Reeney held our place in line while I ran not so quickly to the bathroom. Upon returning some time later, Reeney had patiently held our spot and almost reached the front of the line only to be turned away just short of our goal. We were assured, however, that Mr. Sedaris would stay and sign everyone's books after the show.

We made our way to our seats and waited for the show to begin. I was made to feel even worse by the lovely gay gentleman who sat beside us and told us he and his friend had eaten at The Cafe, a restaurant just a few doors down from Black Market Pizza, and told us how wonderful the food was. Nothing makes you more mad after a bad meal than hearing about a just missed wonderful meal.

As for the show itself, Sedaris, as always, was delightful and entertaining. He read a story from Squirrel as well as a few other short stories I had never heard from other publications. Midway though the show, our pizza began to effect Reeney much the same way it had effected me earlier.

Near the end, Sedaris opened the floor up for questions and I will say that one bright spot of the evening was the fact that I was able to ask him a question, albeit a dumb, pointless, non-literary question which I am now quite embarrassed of but couldn't think of anything better to ask at the time.

Faced with an insanely long line and matching stomach ailments, Reeney and I decided to hit I-35 and head back to Des Moines without signed books. So thank you Black Market Pizza for ruining an evening we had been looking forward to for months. You suck.

1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling about loving a book and being disappointed by it at the same time...usually for the same reason - too short. But I then think of all the books that were good but not great because they started to ramble and lose their focus (like Fight Club). Or even worse when sequels come out and ruin the originals (like the Star Wars movies, but it happens in books too: Ishmael by Daniel Quinn and Ann Rice's Vamp Chronicles come to mind). It is a tough line to walk - wanting more but afraid more will wreck it. So I try to content myself that although short, it was amazing as it was. I know how hard it must be for an author to stop...but when done right short and sweet can be more powerful than a longer book.

    That is too bad about BM Pizza. I've not eaten at the Ames location, but the short lived Ankeny location was pretty darn good. The menu was more diverse with things like spaghetti and meatballs (which was delicious) and a few burgers. I had the witness protection pizza which tasted like a Big Mac. We tried to go back a couple weeks later and it was closed. I have always heard that the Ames location was busy and therefore the food was rushed and sometimes greasy. Ankeny was not busy (probably why it closed, plus is a very high rent locale) and the food was really good.

    Sorry your night wasn't as great as you hoped and that you couldn't ask to have your breasts signed again.

    ReplyDelete