Thursday, December 23, 2010

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

WARNING: SPOILERS, SPOILERS, SPOILERS!!!!1!1!

Don't say I didn't warn you. Since this is book two in the Hunger Games trilogy, and there were some plot twists at the end of book one that will be unavoidable when talking about book two, there will be some spoilers following. So stop reading now if you are or are planning to read book one. I'll give you a minute to leave...

OK, now that those losers are gone, we'll get down to talking about Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. Feel free to refresh your memory on book one by rereading my blog entry here.

We pick up with Katniss back in District 12 a few months after the unprecedented declaration of her and Peeta as duel winners of their Hunger Games. Both have settled into their beautiful new homes in the Victor's Village next door to their friend and mentor (and drunk) Haymitch. And both are preparing for the customary victor's tour of the other districts when Katniss is visited by President Snow, the president of Panem. President Snow is not happy with Katniss. Not one bit. The Capitol, it seems, interpreted Katniss' attempt to commit duel suicide in the arena during the games as a public disregard of the Capitol's authority. And the other districts, it seems, interpreted the same action as a rally cry for revolution. President Snow warns Katniss that she had better be on her best behavior during the victor's tour or bad things could happen to her and those she loves.

So, the next Hunger Games is fast approaching and it seems that the next game is a "Quarter Quell" meaning it's the 75th games. Each 25th game is called a Quarter Quell and a new twist in the tribute selection process is thrown into the mix just to spice things up. For instance, for one of the prior Quarter Quells, four tributes were sent to the games rather than the customary two. Anywho, everyone is gathered around their TVs to hear what special twist will happen this Quarter Quell when it is announced that for the next games the tributes will be selected from each district's current pool of victors. District 12 only has three victors - Katniss, Peeta and Haymitch. It seems that Katniss failed to impress President Snow and she's going back in the arena.

I had wondered how Collins was going to get Katniss back in the arena again for a second book and although this plot devise seemed a bit contrived to me, I'll let it pass. It works fine enough, I guess. And truthfully, the games and the actual time in the arena are a much smaller part of this book. Much more time is spent on the rumors of revolution and unrest in the districts.

Even though the games is a much smaller part of this book, the game twists and arena that Collins dreams up for this book are crazy! How much fun she must have had coming up with some of the stuff that appears in that arena this time around. Burning rain! Tidal waves! Attack monkeys! It was freakin' awesome! I wish I could think up crazy shit like that. If I could, I would be the best selling author, I guess rather than sitting on my couch in my jammies describing the book to all you nerds.

What was particularly intriguing with this book was the way Collins expertly and deftly draws Katniss as the reluctant revolutionary leader. She didn't ask to be the spearhead of a revolution. She didn't plan it and tries to avoid it to protect those she loves. But she also craves freedom and security. Every so often, a leader and revolutionary emerges in Katniss regardless of how hard she tries to suppress it. I have to imagine that many revolutionaries begin this way. You don't just one day decide to risk your safety, reputation and loved ones on a whim. And Collins does an excellent job of showing this inner turmoil in Katniss.

Overall, I would say I enjoyed this book as much, if not more, than the first book (despite the cliffhanger). I burned through it in about two days. It's the kind of book that gets under your skin and you just can't put it down. So, once again, I'm going to give Catching Fire five bows. Everyone just go read these books this instant so I have someone to talk with them about.

The third book in the trilogy, Mockingjay, has a lot to live up to. Hopefully it delivers. I just picked it up at the Scholastic Book sale last weekend and plan to read it after I finish my current book.

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! May there be many good books under all your Christmas trees this year!

1 comment:

  1. You need to get through Mocking Jay before I get back! I am curious to see what you think!

    ReplyDelete