Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

OK, so I know I'm quite late to the scene on this series.  And I admit, I am a band-wagoner since the series premiered on HBO.  My friends Cam and Mike have been raving about the books for years.  But what can I say, Fantasy was never my go-to literary genre of choice. However, I'm the first to admit I'm wrong.

A Game of Thrones - Book One of A Song of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin is a sweeping medieval story of court intrigue, power struggles, family loyalty and yes, there are some supernatural creatures thrown in to keep it interesting and fantastical. 

We start with the family Stark in Winterfell which is located in the northern region of Westros.  Eddard (or Ned for short) is the lord of Winterfell and all of the northern realm.  The Hand of the King (a sort of vice-king of sorts) and Ned's best friend has just died and King Robert is currently making his way north from King's Landing to Winterfell to ask Ned to be the new Hand. 

I am going to stop right here and tell you I am not about to introduce each character.  There are way too many and their relationships are too intertwined and complex to accurately explain here.  My writers notebook really came in handy with this book.  I took extensive notes to keep everybody's story clear and separate in my mind.  But, to help us out a bit, Martin has included some reference material in the form of maps and family lineage.  I kept these pages bookmarked on my Nook throughout reading.  Also, the chapters are each written from one of the main character's POV (and titled with that characters name) so at least it's organized clearly.

Anywho, back to the story.  Ned reluctantly accepts King Robert's job offer and heads off to King's Landing with some of his children.  Not comfortable at court and too honorable to actively participate in the back-stabbing politics, Ned makes no friends and acquires some dangerous enemies in the form of the Lannister family - a rich and power family in charge of a southern realm of Westeros -  and most notably Cersei Lannister, King Robert's power hungry queen.

Meanwhile, across the Narrow Sea in the Free Cities, we meet Daenerys Targaryen and her brother Viserys.  The Targaryens were the ruling family prior to King Robert's war to win the Iron Throne.  The Targaryen king and most of his family were killed, but Daenerys and Viserys were able to escape with their mother.  The mother died giving birth to Daenerys. 

Daenerys - My favorite character. 
She may only be 13, but don't eff with her!

Khal Drogo - Yum!
And the actor is from Iowa!

Viserys is hell bent on reclaiming the Iron Throne.  To do this, he is selling his sister off to the leader of a barbarian horde by the name of Khal Drogo.  Drogo gets Daenerys for a wife, Viserys gets Drogo's army to reclaim the throne.  Except Viserys is a piss ant and not really suited for ruling anybody with his temper tantrums and foot stomping.  Oh and did I mention Daenerys is something like 13 years old.  They don't call him George "Rape Rape" Martin for nothing.

What unfolds from here is one of the richest, most complex pieces of literature I have ever encountered.  The world Martin creates is truly complex and imaginative.  I can only imagine the level of story-boarding and outlining that Martin had to do in order to create the world of Westeros and it's many characters.  And the series goes on for four more books!  That's mighty impressive.

As I've mentioned, the series is in the fantasy genre.  Although, I've heard it described as "fantasy-light".  When I think fantasy, I think of all those cheesy novels - 20 books to a series - with shadowy wizard characters or scantily clad witches or fairies on the cover.  Sort of the Harlequin Romance version of fantasy.  A Game of Thrones is really not that at all.  I can only think of a few details that would actually categorize it as fantasy.  Most notably there are the White Walkers/Others that live north of The Wall (seriously, I'm don't have the time to get into it).  And yes, there are dragons.  I guess a fantasy novel wouldn't be worth it's weight if there weren't dragons.  But they're extinct now.  Or are they...

A word of warning, without giving too much away, Martin is not afraid to kill off his characters so don't get too attached.  I've read stories of viewers angrily writing HBO declaring they would not continue watching the show after a certain character died.  Some of the character deaths are shocking and very unexpected.  But I like a book that can keep me on my toes.  Formulaic is boring.  And rest assured, he never kills off a character whose death isn't necessary to the story.  Small consolation, I know.

This book really got under my skin.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The characters are deeply engaging and complex.  None are completely good and none are completely evil.  Some are tortured, some are honorable, some are loyal and all are power hungry.  To quote Cersei Lannister, "When you play the game of thrones, you either win or you die."  You said it, sister.

I have to give this one five bows. 
I couldn't put it down.  And unfortunately I have some other books I am obligated to read right now or I would be starting on the second book in the series.  On second thought, maybe I'll draw it out and read the second book just before the second season of the show starts.  That way I can spoil the story line for my husband again :)  Until next time fellow book nerds, winter is coming.  Err, um, I mean happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. Just sad that GRRM is probably going to die before finishing it...but I am really looking forward to the new book.
    More and more characters and more and more intertwined plots and story lines with each book...you think you have a lot to keep track of now, it gets worse...a lot worse and the world keeps growing. But it is so excellent. So far he hasn't been able to kill characters as fast as he creates them...but the deaths are still always pretty shocking. These are character driven books. They are excellent...but I find them to be exhausting by the time I finish each book. I think now that I know "no one is safe" I am a little tense the entire read.
    Even through book 4, the fantasy is really light...maybe slightly higher in book 3, but still even that is minimal.
    You know they are good books when the characters you hated in the beginning become the characters that you love the most. Everyone is so complex.
    I think these books have moved into my top 3 series of books, along with Lord of the Rings, and the Dark Tower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished this, and also loved it! Great review. I'm trying to keep up with my book blog again, but I might just have to link to your review on this one!

    ReplyDelete