Thursday, November 18, 2010

Meeting David Sedaris for the Fourth Time

Last evening, David Sedaris was at the Barnes & Noble on University Avenue in West Des Moines, Iowa for a book signing and short reading. We all know my obsession with and borderline stalking of my favorite author from previous posts here and here. This meeting went 100 times better than the last time in Ames and you will all be pleased to know I was on my very best behavior.

The reading was scheduled to begin at 7:00 PM but I knew from past experience that Mr. Serdaris often signs books prior to as well as following readings. So I rushed home after work, fed the dogs quick and ran on up to B&N, arriving a little before 6:00. Sure enough, there he was seated at a small table just to the right of the front doors.

The line was a mere ten people long when I arrived. He tends to spend a good five minutes with each fan at book signings but the wait was short nonetheless. When I reached the front of the line, he quipped, "And who are you?" We got to chitchatting while he signed my book, having a lovely discussion about our previous meetings. Much to my delight, he remembered me asking a question from the audience at his reading in Ames last month. I nearly fainted! I told him about my bad Black Market Pizza experience that kept me from getting my book signed in Ames. He told me about his dismay with people asking inappropriate questions (oops, I may have been one of those people at one time). We were like long lost friends - in my own deluded mind, at least. I tried not to linger too long and let on my stalker tendencies. Here is a snapshot of my first edition Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk he signed last night:



It says, "To Shannon. We meet again, enchantress. David Sedaris." You hear that people! I'm an enchantress! Squee! I giddily ran off and called everyone on my speed dial who would take my call.

I had some free time then to browse a little and regain my composure before his reading began at 7:00. The reading was to happen at the book signing table and there were no chairs for listeners. People were just expected to mill around while he spoke. After making some purchases (natch, I am at B&N after all), I wandered back to the front of the store around 6:45 and grabbed a prime spot next to the customer service desk. This turned out to be a smart move on my part as the B&N staff turned into nazis about keeping the aisles clear. Anyone who tried to stand in front of me and therefore in the aisle, they would order to the rear or to the railings on the second level. I essentially had commandeered the most prime spot in the house. Yay me!

He spoke for about 45 minutes, reading from Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk as well as his journal. He took a few short questions following his reading and from my prime spot I was able to step right up and ask a question - a literary one that I am not at all embarrassed of this time, too. As always, Mr. Sedaris was utterly charming and delightful to listen to and speak with. Until we meet again, Mr. Sedaris! I will be anxiously awaiting your next book.

3 comments:

  1. Glad the police didn't need to be called and charges filed. I always wonder about the huge bookstores and these events, when constructing the stores, why didn't they plan an area to hold these meet and greets and readings better? I have been to some horribly managed ones where the visitors were treated like total crap...even though this is a huge boost for the store. Set aside some space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to make matters worse, they had the oldest portable soundsystem I think I have ever seen. Plus, when he asked for a podium (since he likes to prop his reading materials up in front of himself) they didn't have one so they stacked a bunch of coffee table books they had in a display by the door in front of him. Really, WDM B&N, that's the best you could do to accomodate this very popular author who is doing a free book signing at your store but usually commands upwards of $50 a tickets for his speaking engagements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, definitely bush league. And it is not like having a visiting author is a rare occurrence...it is nearly once a week, sometimes more. Sure they are not always as famous as Sedaris, but still it would be nice to have a decent set up for them.

    ReplyDelete